Monday, September 16, 2013

Some Things Truly Are Forever

  As anyone who's known me for a long time is aware, one of the defining parts of my childhood was my participation in the Boy Scouts.  The other day, I was bored at work (it's rare, but some days, I just have downtime).  While trying to kill time, I came across a post on the National Eagle Scout Association's Facebook page, asking what was the most useful skill people learned while they were Scouts.  It got me thinking about how much my time in the Scouts has impacted my service in the Peace Corps.

  First of all, we'll get the duct tape and knots point out of the way.  The number of things I've fixed with duct tape would surprise many people, never mind the duct tape wallets I've made for friends here.  A sandal breaks? duct tape.  A power chord for a computer is having problems? Duct it. Need to hang curtains that are torn? You guessed it.  And that's only the tip of the iceberg.  And then there are the knots.  I'me watching Grace's dog for a weekend, and she breaks the rope we have her on when we let her run around outside.  As soon as I get her back, a quick square knot and the problem is fixed.  My friend tells me I need a new rope for my clothes line, and rather than wait for someone to take care of it for me, I pick up some rope from the hardware store and take care of it myself.  Hooks for my mosquito net (which, of course I use everywhere I go) need to be hung at an odd angle? Improvise with rope.  Obviously, these are all skills that many people learn from a number of places, and for me, that place was the Scouts.

  Another obvious one is making and cooking on a fire.  How often have I needed an open flame for meals? Well, when the power goes out (not a rare thing), a grill still works, even when the stove doesn't.  Not to mention enjoying a nice braai (bbq for those who don't speak "Namlish").

  Oh, and don't forget how much stuff I have from those days, like the sleeping bag and backpack I use when I travel, or my Leatherman knife.  And my super nice boots and SmartWool socks.  And of course, my ability to set up a tent.  Or knowing that wearing a nice cap can keep me warm enough in the morning, while being easier to carry around in the afternoon, when it's hot as hell.

  Oh, and let us not forget those wonderful leadership skills, which have come in handy in trying to get things done when those in charge seem unable to take charge.

  Of course, there are things that are less obvious.  For instance, my ability to fix a bike, largely the result of my Eagle project.

  Now, I could go on, but honestly, that would largely be a waste.  As many of you have probably gathered, the main purpose of this post was killing time and not letting myself go too long without writing (for, as with any skill, if you don't use it, you lose it).  I promise, a real post should be coming soon, once I have a break between computer classes, moving into my new place and the buying of things/cleaning that entails), and VRF-ing.  But, beware, it may include me hitting you all up for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment