Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving Thanks

Note: So, I know I promised my next article would be about what I eat. I promise, that article is coming, hopefully this weekend. However, I had to delay it, because I haven't been feeling all that well, and thinking about food just wasn't a good idea. Hopefully this weekend/early next week I will have that post, as well as something about the Thanksgiving dinner we had this past weekend (not sure if it will be included in the same post or it's own). For now, however, I think it would be appropriate to take some time, in the spirit of Thanksgiving and Hanukkah, to take a few minutes to write about the things I'm thankful for this year.

  Okay, so, today's Thanksgiving back in the States. It's also Hanukkah (I'll touch on that later and when I write about our Thanksgiving here). One common Thanksgiving tradition is for people to go around and say what they are thankful for, and while I am not sitting around a table with family or friends tonight (though I did a few nights ago), I think it would be appropriate to talk about a few of the things I'm thankful for. After all, while my service has certainly been full of challenges and struggles and problems, I do have quite a bit for which to say "thanks".

  The first thing I'm thankful for is being here. No, not in the cliche "I'm thankful for living to see another year." I mean, I am, that's just not what I mean to say right now. Those who know me well know how long I've wanted to do the Peace Corps. It's a completely different experience, the chance of a lifetime, to help people and to experience a new culture and different way of life. Beyond that, I'm happy of the country where I am serving. Namibia has its flaws. The weather and environment presents me with almost daily challenges. But, overall, it's safe. Outside the major cities, violent crime is very rare. Sure, there are risks. Being anywhere within 10 feet of a road is putting yourself in harm's way. But the people are friendly and welcoming. And I'm thankful for being in Khorixas, which, for all its flaws, is beautiful and has become a real home. And I'm thankful for being placed at the Ministry of Youth, National Service, Sport, and Culture. While I have a co-worker towards whom I don't have a single positive opinion, the rest of the staff is amazing, my boss has done so much for me (even taking me fishing and having day-long conversations on the topic of social justice). And I was able to jump right in, rather than spending my first few months traveling and sitting around. I had stuff to do from the very first day.

  I'm also grateful for the many friends in my life, both here and back home (and even around the world). As happy as I am to be here, the transition hasn't been the easiest, leaving my friends, family, home, and culture behind, and coming to a new place. Thank you to Gary Rosenthal for the mezuzah, which has left me with a little comfort of my Jewish culture (though it's lead to  few uncomfortable exchanges as well when Namibians come to my place). It also wasn't the easiest start, arriving with my clothes missing and dealing with a number of deaths early on. My friends helped me get through all the early struggles and it really helped me get to this point without once even considering quitting.

  Thank you to the many on the Peace Corps staff in country who have helped me so much. My training staff who helped me adjust, the HQ staff who helped me with my bag, a banking issue, and a few other little issues along the way.

  While they could be said to have already been covered, I would especially like to thank those who welcomed me to Namibia and to Khorixas. My host family in Okahandja, who really were a family to me. My host family here, who opened their house and had a plate of intestines waiting for me so they could help me integrate right into Damara culture upon my arrival in Khorixas. My co-workers, who have been some of my closest friends here. My boss, who showed me around and introduced me to many people. To Steve Iverson and Grace Paulson, who showed me Khorixas. To Elfy, the owner of Sunrise Hotel, who made me feel very welcomed at his bar. You all helped me make Khorixas my home from day 1, and have helped me become (as Elfy said) "a true citizen of Khorixas."

  I want to give a special thanks to Chakka, my co-worker who passed away this past weekend. He was so welcoming and always good for a conversation, a story, or company. His contributions to the youths of Khorixas will be a lasting reminder of his legacy. Chakka, you will certainly be missed, by me, by all of us at the youth hall, and all of the town of Khorixas.

  To Facebook and Gmail for allowing me to stay connected with people back home. For my love and knowledge of the game of soccer, which has helped my integration and gave me something to talk about with my Namibian friends and colleagues. To Skype, which I will soon be using to call my parents (right after I post this). For my ability to cook (a skill that apparently not everyone acquires by their mid-20s, which I don't understand). As superficial/materialistic as it may sound, for my fan and camera, which has, respectively, allowed me to not die of heat this summer (yet, anyway) and allowed me to document my adventures. For this being a German colony. They may have been brutal colonizers and instituted apartheid, but they also brought beer with them, which is absolutely amazing on a hot day. For books, which have kept me sane. For sudokus and other puzzles, which help keep my mind sharp. For my knowledge of computers, which has proven useful at work. For music, which has given me an outlet. And for cold, cold water.

  I'm sure there are things I'm leaving off, but I think that's a good list for now.

Note: For those noting the time at which I posted this, the electricity in my town went off for about 8 hours, right while I was Skpe-ing my parents. Just one of the charms of living in Africa (especially when your only means of cooking without risking burning down your work is an electric stove and electric kettle).

No comments:

Post a Comment