Sunday, March 31, 2013

This may take some getting used to, part 1


  So, this is going to be a running thing, I'm guessing (hence the "part 1" in the title).  Some things are going to take some getting used to here. Any time you move, that's going to be the case. Any time you move to a new country, that's even more the case. I will say that I am glad I am a man, because I'm sure the harassment that women receive would drive me crazy. Over these first couple weeks, I've been compiling a list of things that really stuck out to me.

  1. Water. As I've mentioned, nobody here seems to drink it. Beyond that, it's sometimes hard to find cold water. In fact, it is easier to find a cold beer than a cold glass of water. What my host mom taught me to do was save water/soda/juice bottles, fill them halfway, and just toss them in the freezer, so you will always have a good chunk of ice.
  2. The driving. I know I'm supposed to be a good ambassador for this country, according to Peace Corps policies, but I would be remiss if I neglected to mention just how bad the driving can be here. Driving on the wrong side of the road (unlike in America, where we drive on the right side) is weird enough, but I'll often see people driving in the middle of the road, using the horn rather than the breaks, and not giving pedestrians the right of way. Now, this isn't everyone, but it seems a lot more common than in the States. And so is drunk driving. In fact, one of the most common ads on TV/radio is about driving drunk. Going to gas stations (or petrol stations, as they call them) is also weird. It's basically a CF, with cars trapping each other in.
  3. Sundays. This is a very religious country. A very Christian country. And on Sundays, pretty much every store closes early. If they open at all. Now, there are a few places, mainly supermarkets and petrol stations, that stay open, but for the most part, Okahandja seems to shut down. Like Israel on a Saturday. I actually find it relaxing, but it certainly makes for a stressful day when you have your first day off and need clothes because yours didn't arrive, only to find that all the stores are open.
  4. Water. So, this time, it's not so much the drinking part. It's the fact that it's scarce. And because of that, the water company will, from time to time just shut your water off for a day or 2 to save water. Our first Saturday we were still at the training center. We hadn't moved into the home stays yet. We were hanging out that night when we were informed that the water was supposed to be off the next day. Turns out, this was just a rumor, but still, that's a concept that's going to take some getting used to.
  5. Soccer is actually a big deal here. Or football. Seems some of the people haven't made up their minds what to call it. But everywhere you go, Chelsea jerseys, Spain jerseys, Man U jerseys, Arsenal jerseys, Kaizer Chiefs jerseys, Barca jerseys. They're everywhere. This is actually a nice change of pace for me, though I'm still looking for a place to buy a Chelsea jersey, since mine is still victim of South African Air. Apparently, I'll have to be careful when I wear it, though, since people will test your expertise if you wear a jersey of a major club. This shouldn't prove much of an issue for me, other than the lack of internet making it hard for me to keep up on scores.
  6. Food.  They (or at least my family) doesn't each much vegetable.  When on a budget, that's the first thing they leave behind.  Everyone will have like 2-3 pieces of chicken or a large portion of beef, but they'll only use 1 onion for the meal.  Also, it's very oily and often they use a lot of salt or sugar.  There are meats we don't usually eat in the US (not a bad thing, just different).  Also, they're fruits and veggies aren't loaded up with hormones like ours are.  So they tend to be a lot smaller, go bad a lot quicker (so eat them while they're fresh), and sometimes taste a bit different.  I actually prefer them.  But it really makes you realize how much chemicals we use in our food in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment