Saturday, June 15, 2013

First Big Success At Site

  So, for the last few weeks, I've been talking about some big news. So, here we go. On my first day I might center, I was greeted by a bunch of computers and printers. By our standards in the US, they were very old, but they were in pretty good condition. They were a donation from UNESCO, meant to help us start a tourism center in the Khoadi //Hoas conservancy in Grootberg, which gets a substantial amount of tourism due to its proximity to Etosha and the cave paintings, as well as the presence of many elephants (the name meaning “Elephant Corner”). A few years ago they requested help starting this center, hoping to keep the money local and provide jobs for local youths (Grootberg has very high unemployment, especially among young people).

This was one of the nicer ones

The main office, marked with one of its many elephant skulls
  So, a couple weeks ago, I set out for a week with a couple co-workers to begin a training. We'd spent weeks organizing the event, which was to involve 5 days of training, covering the basic Microsoft programs, setting up and maintaining the computers and printers, and using the internet to communicate. This last one would prove incredibly diff
icult, since we didn't have access to the internet and most of my learners had never used a computer before, much less the internet, social media, or e-mail.

Some of my learners trying out the computers for the first time

there were a bunch of goats running around

saying a prayer before the first lesson (Namibians pray before anything)


  I could get into a bit of detail about the challenges of organizing this, made more difficult with the head of my center being out taking his law exams, but, honestly, anyone whose ever tried to organize a big event before has an idea (though add in language challenges and the cultural issues as added problems).

  Day 1 went pretty well. After spending the morning checking the computers again (making sure they weren't damaged in transit and that the software was working), classes began. We spent a few hours talking about how to set up computers and covering basic computer care rules. After that we went into logging in, creating a personal profile on the computer, saving documents, and creating folders. At that point, we felt we had covered enough for one day, which is when the Damaras pulled out the drinks.

Learning to set them up
 
unwinding after a long first day



Mogale is relaxed


  Day 2 and 3 were Microsoft Word and a short test. Day 4 was Excel, with a test overnight. Day 5 was discussing how to use the internet, e-mail, Google searches, social media, and uploading photos onto the computer, as well as printing (and setting up the printer). We had some free time that afternoon, so we did a brief overview of PowerPoint as well.

Waylon translating one of my lessons into Damara (computer terms were not something JJ taught us)


 Then came the big day. The training was to end with a handing-over ceremony, with UNESCO officially transferring the equipment over to representatives of the conservancy. The night before, I was informed that I was expected to give a speech. We spent the morning setting up and then began welcoming our notable guests. We had local leaders from the conservancy, the head of National Youth Council, high ups from my ministry's regional office, some tribal and cultural leaders, and politicians. And we had a representative from UNESCO. As we waited for the event to begin, this man (from Croatia) was particularly interested in how Peace Corps selects volunteers and in my experiences so far (all one month as a volunteer). Finally, the ceremony began, and went well. The speeches were brief (well, relative to what one might expect at these kinds of events, none lasting more than 10 minutes). Those who understood mine said it was very good, and when they found out I made it up on the spot, proceeded t tell me I might have a future in politics. We had choirs from a couple local schools, who were wonderful. NBC even filmed it (yes, it did make the news the next night). Overall, it was a massive success, and as my co-workers and I opened a couple beers on the way back, we toasted to the fact that 3 young men, one new to the country, could pull of something of this scale without any major disasters.


the hall is ready for the big event to begin

The program for the day's event (which is what told me I was giving a speech)

NBC camera man



Steve Biko Booyz from Okahandja, who recognized me and had many complements for me

keynote address

Official handing-over




  Oh, and I saw a lion.


this is what a young lion (think teen-age Simba) can do to a full-grown cow


  So, in the coming weeks I will be leaving on a familiarization tour of Kunene South in order to meet people I will likely be working with over the next couple years.  I am also hoping to get involved with coaching a new youth soccer club (u-13) my host mom is starting.  I helped my office beat the police this weekend, scoring a goal and an assist (as well as setting up the game winner with a cross that got redirected a couple times in the box before being buried).  So, there you have it.  My first success.  It may be small, but it's something.  I plan on returning to do further trainings (one week is obviously not enough time to teach everything), so I will let you know as this progresses.

All of the learners celebrating an end to their training


No comments:

Post a Comment