Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Things I'm Going To Have To Get Used To (Part 2) and How I'm Choosing To Cope With It

So, I keep hinting at that big post, and it's coming.  It should be ready this weekend.  Instead, I am taking a moment to comment on one of my major adjustments and how I am dealing with it.  If you continue reading, this will actually benefit your kitchen.  As you are aware, I like my food spicy.  I love the burn.  Namibians don't.  As I wait for the Namibia/Nigeria WCQ to begin (Go Brave Warriors!), I figured I'd talk about how I am coping with this.  My first option is obvious: suck it up.  I've been doing this, but occasionally I want that kick. Option 2 is buy hot sauce.  They actually have a decent selection of Tabasco, but it's pricey, especially on a Peace Corps salary.  I picked a 3rd option (enabled by my host mom, who actually is one of the people here who does like spicy).  I am making my own.  And because I'm me, I'm sharing my recipe with you (well, partially).

So, here's what you need: 1 Coke bottle (wash thoroughly), 1 onion, 1 bulb of garlic, some salt, some herbs and spices, vinegar (I like a combination of malted, white, and red wine, though I didn't use the malted this time), water, and peppers.

First you chop the onions and garlic.  You can chop them as fine or as chunky as you want. Then chop the peppers.  I find it works best to chop them large, so you don't lose seeds (drying them out for a few days first works best; you want the seeds, since they hold the spice).  I like it hot, so I used 20 chilies, but you can use other peppers (and more or fewer), depending on taste and what's available (if I could, I'd use a mix of chilies, habaneros, jalapenos, and chipoltes).  Put all of this in the bottle.  Add salt, spices and herbs to taste. Fill coke bottle up to the midway point of label with vinegar, then the rest of the way to the bottom of the neck.  Cap and shake well.

Now you have 2 choices.  Choice 1 is the quick way.  You boil it for a couple hours and pour back into bottle (I'd recommend filtering through a coffee filter).  Put either in a hot sauce, malted vinegar, squeeze water bottle, or the Coke bottle. The others are preferable, since you can control how much you pour.

However, I prefer not to do this.  Once you boil and filter, you take the peppers and seeds out, so that's how hot it gets.  I choose to take the longer method.  Instead of boiling, you leave it in the bottle for a week or more.  Once it gets to the hot enough, you can filter it or leave it.  I am leaving it so it will continue getting hotter until I finish it.  I will now thank Robert Hopkins for giving me some recommendations before I left.


First bottle, an hour after bottling
My plan, if this turns out well, is to make a larger quantity (2 liter bottle) to share at reconnect, and once my peppers grow, I'm going to use those instead of buying them (or, as I did in this case, getting the from a friend of my host mom).

Also, I'm looking for a name, so feel free to contact me on Facebook, Twitter, post here, e-mail me, or SMS me (if you're in country).  So far, I've had recommendations of "Hot Juice" (TJ), "Jumpin' Jay's Pepper Party" (KG), "Juicy Jay's Fire Juice" (me), and "Juicy Jay's Fire Water" (also me).  I'll update with new ideas, if I find them worthy (Pepper Party is currently the leader).  So, enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment