Monday, December 30, 2013

If Only I'd Brought

  So, yesterday I posted about things I'm glad I'd brought with me. Those were some of the more useful things (given how easily that list could've been expanded, I might've exaggerated a bit when I said "Most Useful Things"). Today, we're looking a little more into hindsight. While it's not quite 20/20 yet (I am still less than a year in), my vision is getting a lot clearer on this one (certainly more so than with how useful things I brought were). Some of these things were things I didn't think to bring, some were things I just didn't have room for, and some were things I brought, but wish I had more of. Like yesterday's list, I could easily expand this to 10 items, but limiting it to 5 forced me really to thin about it a lot more.

Things I Wish I'd Brought
  • Soccer cleats. I really wish I'd brought mine. They're just great to have. I play a lot of soccer, and occasionally rugby, and not having cleats really puts me at a disadvantage, and while I can get them here, finding a pair in my size and price range is tough, especially if I want them to be durable. These were the "last thing out" when I packed, and probably my biggest regret.
  • Phone. Some people in my group were smart and brought unlocked phones from the US. When they got here, all they needed to do was go to a corner shop and get a SIM card. I was not so smart, so I didn't have a phone for the first few weeks, which made contacting people about meeting places tough. Also, if you want a smart phone, they're super expensive here (I'm fine with my simple phone with internet that can tell me football/soccer/hockey scores and let me check Facebook/Gmail, but if you want a phone that can use Whatsapp or similar programs, get it before you leave the US)
  • More memory cards. Okay, maybe I take more pics than most people, but I don't think so. I've already filled the smaller of my two memory cards, and the second is almost half full, and it's been less than a year. Yes, I can go through and delete pictures, but to go through a few thousand pictures is super time consuming. Also, an SD card is almost as versatile as a USB stick for transferring and transporting files, and often can hold more memory in a smaller size.
  • US cash. Like the memory card, yes, I brought some. However, my Namibian money is pretty much worthless if  travel outside the country. US dollars are great because you can use them in any country, and exchange rates for cash tend to be lower than using an ATM, where you pay both transaction fees and exchange rates.
  • Maps/flags/posters. You're going to be there for 2 years. It's nice to have something to remind you of home. I had a few things from sports teams (Tulane banner, Skins flag, and Nats #Natitude towel), but things like an American flag (or, in my case, New Orleans, which my mom shipped me) you can hang up does give your home that little "home" feel of being a small haven of America. Also, if you have windows, flags and posters over them work as curtains/blinds, on top of their decorative value. Maps are also good, especially large ones, which can be hung up on the walls. I'm interested in learning about Namibia. Namibians are also interested in learning about my culture. A map is a good tool when trying to teach people about where you're from.

No comments:

Post a Comment