Sunday, December 29, 2013

Useful Things

  I brought a lot with me to Namibia. for the most part, the packing lists from Peace Corps were good. Some of the things were more useful than others. Some things were less useful. Some things were not included, and were therefore left behind, even though they would've been great to have. I'm working on a more comprehensive list, which I will have as a Page, which I hope can be a resource for those considering the Peace Corps. However, here's a short list of the most useful things I brought, things I wish I brought, and things that made/would've made good gifts for people here. I'm going to limit myself to 5 items for each thing. I'll be giving each category it's own post, spaced out over the next couple days, so be sure to check in. Please note, I'm using bullets, rather than numbers, because the orders of my list are not arranged in any order. Also note, these are based on who I am, so another person's list may vary greatly. For this reason, I'm actually asking various friends here for their input on the larger list.

Most Useful Things I Brought

  • E-reader/books. So, people who now me know I love to read (I know, I gotta update my reading list, which is a few weeks out of date). In my case, it's my iPad. On it, I am able to take books anywhere and it's far easier to download books than to try and find them here, and there is no way I could've afforded 2 years' worth of books in a suitcase. The backlight is also useful at night, and the iPad's other apps and internet capability has made it useful (especially getting to listen to music while I read). That said, there is something for paper books. People bother you less when you have them, they don't need batteries, and they're easier to share.
  • Knife. I brought 2 knives with me. One is my old Leatherman Juice J2. Despite it's age (I had it through most of my years in the Scouts), it's been super useful. I never go anywhere without it. I have the blade (obviously), the scissors, and the bottle opener, which I use regularly. However, the pliers and screw drivers have proven more useful than I imagines. Also, a can-opener that doesn't jam is a great tool, if you have the wrist strength. The other knife I brought was my CRKT Thunderbolt, which I got a few days before I left. It's been used to kill chickens and a warthog, it's a good kitchen knife (though I have others), it's a decent tool for protection (not so much fights, but annoying dogs, which get scared off). When I need a cup, I've even been able to use it to turn plastic bottles into cups, in a pinch. In general, both knives are important to take with me, and I'm glad I brought them (yes, I know those are 2 things, but I'm counting them as 1).
  • Hot Sauce/spices that remind you of home. Let's be honest. You're going somewhere new. The food is going to be (and I say this with all due respect for cultures) weird. It's going to take some time to get comfortable with it. A bottle (or a few bottles) of hot sauce (I recommend a variety of Tabascos, like the regular and chipolte, so you have options). Yes, you can make your own, or, in many cases, buy some in country. But, just in case, a little hot sauce goes a long way towards making food a lot easier to get down. Same with spices. Old Bay and creole seasonings (like Tony's) just have a feeling of home. During those first few weeks, that comfort is nice to have.
  • Camera. Obviously, you don't need to do what I did and buy a nice Nikon DSLR with accessories before you leave. However, a good camera is great to have to chronicle your experiences. I recommend a digital, since film can be hard to find, and you might not be able to develop it before you get back, during which time, the film could get ruined or lost. Memory cards are easier to get in coutry these days (and see below for more), hold thousands of photos, and can be used to store other files as well. And, if you have the money, my Nikon D3200 and the zoom lens have certainly proven to be great things, as I've been able to get more into photography (phone camera and point-and-shoots just don't have quite the options, once you get the practice).
  • Sunglasses. Okay, maybe this is more Africa specific. However, sunglasses have been vital. I was debating what to put in the last spot, since I could easily include 10 or more items here, but since I'm planning on a larger list at a later date, I'll keep it to the 5. I include sunglasses because I was the only male in my group who thought to bring them (and, fortunately for them, multiple pairs). They don't have to be super nice. In fact, I'd recommend cheap ones, since they may break, they'll certainly get scratched, you might lose them, or they can be stolen. Bring lots. I brought about 7 pairs, only 2 of which remain. This is less about fashion and more about being prepared for your environment (if you're going somewhere less sunny, you can substitute in any item that can, in theory, be gotten there, but which you'll want right away).

No comments:

Post a Comment