Saturday, October 25, 2014

Counting Down

  So, it's time for me to start thinking about my upcoming Completion of Service (COS). In a little over half a year, I'll be on my way back to the US (I know a few people who are looking forward to this, and a few who wouldn't mind if I stayed here forever, or at least a bit longer). So, it's time to start preparing for that day. There are two parts to that preparation. First, is making arrangements so that when I leave, my work can continue. The other is figuring out what the heck I'm going to do.

  First, my work. The project towards which I've put in the most time has been my computer classes. My counterpart was the teacher before I got there. Sadly, he left our office a few months back to join the police force. I am currently in the process of training a new teacher, though some minor problems with the equipment (like most of the computer lab not actually working at the moment) has slowed that down. On top of that, I am working on putting together a resource drive and binder of the resources I've created. These include the pre-class survey, in-class practices, and exams for my computer classes, some life skills program pre-/post-tests, and some of the materials from the health club. Running the health club has mainly been handed off to Taylor, with me leading some of the day of stuff, and her running the planning, for the most part, which has been the case since she arrived (mainly because the gym is at her office). My English class has more or less died, due to attendance issues. I found a new coach for my soccer team, set to take over in January. I still have a few smaller projects I intend to start/continue, but the big stuff seems to be taken care of.

  Which brings me to the other part of planning for my COS. I am in the process of applying to law schools, after which I will begin working on job applications. I am also studying for the GRE and looking into a few Masters programs, mainly Public Health, Public Policy, and Idev. We'll see how that pans out. I'm also working on planning a small road trip to visit friends and family, as well as hopefully check out housing for law school, assuming I go to school outside the DC area. So, if anyone wants me to add them to potential stops along the way, let me know. And, of course, trying to plan ways to visit places over here I haven't had a chance to make it to yet.

  Of course, the biggest question for me seems to be what I want my first meals back to be. The obvious answer would be seafood, since it's not easy to get in Khorixas, whereas Maryland is famous for it. I've also found myself missing New Orleans food, not counting the imitations I make using the "wrong" ingredients here. There's also the Deli, since a good corned beef sandwich doesn't exist here. And I can't discount the fact that the DC area has such a diverse selection of food from so many different countries. After all, I do like Thai, Middle Eastern, Indian, Chinese, Mexican, etc. Of course, I would definitely put my money on something spicy, knowing me and the lack of kick in food over here. I do have plenty of time left to figure that one out, and my family will probably have some say in that one. For sure, the most important thing for me will probably be having a decent beer selection, since, while beer here is decent, especially for the cost, I miss the variety available in the US. This may seem minor to you all back in the States, but when you go two years in relative isolation, with limited options for eating out, these conversations come up a lot when we get together.

  I'm no longer at the point where I count up the months I've spent here in Namibia. Instead, I'm counting down the months I have left (roughly, since I don't have an exact COS date yet). Of course, 7-ish months is still a lot of time to get things done, and I will continue to put in the same effort I have been, but now, I also have to keep an eye on the clock so it doesn't run out on me before I'm ready.

  We have an election coming up in November. In the least political way I can, I hope to write about it and how campaigns her compare to the US, as well as a little about the results (though I refer you to my links tab for more in-depth coverage, unbound by requirements of remaining political neutral/apathetic). I will be attending my first meeting as my training group's representative to VAC (the Peace Corps version of Student Government). In December (re-scheduled due to the local elections), my group is planning a Thanksgiving dinner in Opuwo, complete with a trip to Epupa falls. I will also hopefully be taking a day to collaborate with a good friend as a guest speaker in a class she runs, and helping Den, the new teaching volunteer in Khorixas, get used to the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment