Thursday, May 7, 2015

This Chapter Comes To A Close

  Well, here we are. My last day in Namibia. My home of two years. Tomorrow morning, I fly out. I am now considered an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer). Over the last couple days, I've been doing my finishing up process. I had my blood work (no HIV, Rob). I pooped in a cup one last time (because a hotel cleaning lady threw out one of my samples back in February). I met with my APCD and Country Director for my exit interviews. And yesterday, Karen Mappin, Peace Corps Namibia's amazing admin officer, took me out of the system, officially ending my Peace Corps service. It honestly hasn't sunk in completely yet, though I've met a couple PCVs around Windhoek since, and I have been introducing myself as an RPCV. I think it will get a bit more real tomorrow, when I board my flight, and even more so when I land in the USA.

  So, what's been going on since I left site? Peace Corps put us up at a backpackers' lodge in Windhoek. It's been an interesting few days. Friday and Monday were holidays, and everything is closed on Sundays, so I mostly hung around here. Met some really cool people. A couple from the US who quit their jobs and are spending about a year traveling, a French chef who takes up jobs in kitchens to fund his travels, a group of South African deep sea divers, a French woman, and a changing groups of people have formed the core of our hangouts, along with myself and two PCVs (now an RPCV and a third year PCV, who left last night for Cape Town). Nights have been spent with beer and wine and braais and fire and music. We introduced the South Africans to the game "Would You Rather?" and it's been lasting for several nights now. The other night, Johanna, the third year PCV, pulled out her guitar. A songwriter who lived in Nashville for a while, she got things going a bit. However, the couple proved to be incredible. The guy was a fantastic guitarist and she is a classically trained vocalist. They harmonized perfectly and were just so in sync, the way only people who have known each other for years can be. They did a rendition of Bob Dylan's "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" that floored us all and further proved my theory that there is no Bob Dylan song that hasn't been played better by someone else (certainly sung better). Not to knock Dylan, but when your songs get so widely covered, that's what happens.

  Got to enjoy watching my Blues win the Premier League (COME ON CHELSEA) and spent most of the night traveling. So many people from all over the world here has made for some fun soccer watching. Not because Americans are so dense about the sport, but you get such a diverse perspective and set of opinions. The other night, I was watching the Champions League semi first leg between Real and Juve. A few friends of mine went out to a sports bar, but as it was the last night in Windhoek for a few of my friends, I chose to go out for dinner (Indian food) and watch at the backpackers while hanging out. There was a Spanish man watching with us, who turned to me and asked "what is with an American liking soccer?" Stunned for an instant by the silliness of the question, I recovered and retorted "I've been playing since I was young, coaching and refereeing for years, and watching most of my life. You know, the same way you Euro's come to know the game." The French chef, who was watching with us, just started to laugh at the silliness (he and I decided to support Juve, since the Spaniard is from Madrid, and got fairly obnoxious throughout the evening).

  After the match, I returned to my friends (okay, I'll admit, despite my intentions, my love of the game did win out a little, but I was at least close enough to hang out at halftime and immediately after the match ended), just in time to witness a dreadlocked Aussie play one of the most incredibly beautiful guitar pieces, using an interesting slap technique, combining finger picking and strumming with a percussive element. Meanwhile, an Israeli man had pulled out a ukulele, so I ran back to my room, grabbed a drumstick, and tried using some empty beer bottles and yogurt tubs (for about a song, until the lodge staff complained about the noise, saving me from showing just how badly my technique and overall play has suffered from two+ years of minimal practicing). And yes, I did even pick up the guitar briefly, laying down a lousy rendition of "Saints", "Liza Jane", and some random strumming, before handing it off to people with actual talent.

  Last night was probably my most emotional night since I said "goodbye" to Esna and her family. It wasn't so much because of my COS-ing; like I said, that hasn't really sunk in. However, after lunch I caught a lift to Okahandja to see my host family from training one last time. It was incredible seeing how much Peggy and Brodie have grown. Odia is preparing to attend UNAM next year, she hopes. When I kept my promise and gave Peggy my jump rope, she was just ecstatic. They took photos with me and ate some chicken I'd picked up for them at Hungry Lion (I'd let them choose what I got them). Sadly, Martha, my host mom, has been quite sick recently. She's lost a lot of weight and had trouble eating and did look considerably weakened. It was hard to see. She did say she is slowly improving. She spent some time in the hospital, but it home now, and is able to eat a little and drink a bit. We exchanged contact info and I added Odia on Facebook so they could stay in touch with me. We hugged, and then I had to return to Windhoek after a few hours. It was a tough night, but I am certainly happy I was able to see them again.

  Today, I am planning to do a little last-second gift shopping with Shayna, a PCV about a year behind me who apparently did Year Course the year after me. I had one last beer with Taylor yesterday while she was in tow for an HIV committee meeting. Saw the Samaniegos one last time, who have invited me to Austin. In a bit, I'm heading over to the PCN HQ to make one last round of saying "goodbye" to the people who have supported me on the ground over the past two years, and I'm planning to do a little re-packing this evening, see if I can get rid of a few more things. If she's around, Alicia and I are supposed to finish off the last of the herbal liquor I found while cleaning out my freezer, around from Reconnect Part 2.

  So, that's where I am. During my exit interview with Danielle, the Country Director, I was asked what advice I have for future PCVs. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, as cliche as it may be. Find something you enjoy. Reading, playing an instrument, running, working out, cooking, whatever. Find that thing. And, for one hour, every day, do it. Lock your door, shut off your phone, and just focus on you, for just one hour. If you can do that, it will go a long way to helping your service be less stressful. Focus on the little things, the small successes, because the big things tend to be negative, but for every one, there will be a number of small victories. Oh, my project fell through? Well, my host sister is no longer afraid of me. There's no electricity? Well, I now have time to climb that hill? The transport didn't come? At least the beer's cold. Don't take things too seriously. You'll never survive if you do. Enjoy it. It's an experience you may not appreciate until the end. You often won't realize the impact you had until you reach the end. It can be tough. PC bills itself as "The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love". At 25, I don't have the experience to confirm or deny it. But it was tough, and I love it. In many ways, I'm the same guy I was two years ago. But, as Karen pointed out when we chatted as fellow RPCVs after she punched my card, we all change in small ways. Hopefully for the better. They may not be obvious at first, but I do feel slightly different, and I am grateful for the experiences I had. Do I regret not living in a mud hut in an isolated village with no electricity or water? It certainly would've been different. But I enjoyed my service, and I do feel like I made a difference, and I can get on the plane tomorrow knowing I put everything I had into helping my community, even when I failed. And, in the end, I wouldn't change my PC experience (other than maybe having head office actually pay their bills).

  So, that's it. Probably my last post from Namibia. Time for the next chapter in my life. I do plan to keep this blog going, so, if you enjoy my writing and want to hear about what it's like readjusting, feel free to keep reading. And, with that, I wish you well. Hope you enjoyed hearing about my experiences in Namibia. Stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment