Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I Rejoice

  I am straight. I am a man attracted to women. I have never found myself attracted to other men. I am not gay. And yet, I rejoice. I rejoice because last week, the Supreme Court struck down bans on same sex marriage in all 50 states. I rejoice not because the ruling impacts me directly. I rejoice because I have friends, family, colleagues, and neighbors who are. I rejoice for the families now able to unite as one. I rejoice for the families able to cross state lines and remain family. I rejoice because, as a Jew, I realize "only 2% of the population" does not mean you are not a large enough part of the population to deserve equal rights. I rejoice because nobody's rights are threatened and nobody suffers negatively. I rejoice because there is nothing negative, or even neutral, about this ruling. I rejoice because the only people that's not true for are members of NOM, FOTF, FRC, AFA, ADF, and the likes. I rejoice because today I awoke in an America one step closer to the values on which we were founded, of equality, freedom, and religious liberty for ALL citizens. I rejoice because we did not leave the rights of a minority up to the whims of a majority, regardless of how likely I believe it is to pass. I rejoice because if you don't like this ruling, the good news is your life remains unchanged.

  Of course, while I rejoice, I recognize we are not there yet. LGBT Americans do not have full equality under the law in all aspects. I am straight. That doesn't mean I am more worthy of protections. It does not mean I deserve a job or a home more than a gay person. I am not superior to a LGBT person in any way, though for most of my life, by being born as I am, society has seemingly believed I am. I am cis-gender. I have never had to feel uncomfortable in my own body. That's not to say I am flawless, but my flaws are of my own doing, not a disconnect between the physical me and the me I was born to be. I am white, and yet I am in no way superior to blacks, Hispanics, or Muslims. My skin makes me not less likely to be a terrorist (though the way my parents raised me certainly does). I am a man. That does not mean I deserve to make more money, just because I have a penis. It doesn't mean I wouldn't have responsibilities, should I have children. I am fortunate. I have never felt true hunger, the pain of not having enough, of having to give up my dreams because they were unaffordable, unobtainable.

  Yes, I rejoice. And I do so while recognizing that with this monumental step forward, a lot more remains to be done. America was founded on the idea that "all men are created equally." We have made many strides, including several in my lifetime. I hope each new year, each new day even, we learn from out mistakes and continue the progression, until the day we live up to that lofty goal. No, we may never be a perfect country. That's not a good excuse not to fight to get to the day when we are. So please, celebrate. Rejoice. Enjoy some victory drinks. Chant. Dance. Be happy. And continue fighting to repair the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment