Friday, February 17, 2017

Help Me

  So, yes, I am in fact still alive. If anyone is still reading this, I apologize for the long gap. I have been working my way through law school at Northeastern. During my first year, I just had no time. I was hoping to update during my first co-op, at the Mass. AG's office, and I was not allowed to update a personal blog during that time. Next week is finals week, and then I am done with my 2L classes and heading out on co-op at the AIDS Action Committee (see, dad, I am putting my PC experience into my professional life). I hope to take some time during that stretch to really share my life since PC, especially in case any PCVs out there are considering law school as a post-PC option (for the record, I have a friend from my section who was also a PCV, and a really good PCNam friend of mine is in law school in DC).

  This is not about that, right now. Instead, I am making a plea for help/opinions (which, I know you all got some of). As anyone who has read this blog knows, during my service I kept a map of where I went in Namibia. This map hung on the wall of my flat, and I would put updated pics of it on here throughout, so that you all could keep track. Well, I kept that map. It is currently sitting in a frame in my parent's house. I couldn't find a frame that was a perfect fit, because the US doesn't do the metric system. I could've looked into a custom option. Instead, I had an idea. I got a frame which was much too big. So, what I am going to do is fill in the extra space. "Fill it in with what?" you might ask. Well, with photos, my dear reader. And, not just any photos. No, I plan on getting wallet prints of my favorite and my best shots taken during my service.

  This is where you come in. See, I took A LOT of photos. Over 50 albums worth. And, this doesn't even include the probably 4-5 times as many which didn't make the cut (seriously, I did this on full manual; a lot of my shots were unworthy of seeing the light of day). With that in mind, I am now turning to you all for some help. If there are any photos you particularly enjoy, think were really cool, show a certain artistic flare, or just stand out, and you think they should be included, let me know, either by contacting me here, commenting on the Google photo page, or through any other means. While I will hold the final veto, I am open to other opinions. The photos will be moved into an album of my favorites, as a form of "best of," This will make it easier for me and be a nice photographic highlights real.

  Oh, and for those interested in what is going on in Namibia, it's a bit insufferable, a lot repetitive with it's jokes, but a bit funny none-the-less, and about as Nam as it gets. With that introduction, I give you "America First, Namibia First." You're welcome.

  Finally, for anyone interested in a good read for this time, I highly recommend Donald Wood's "Biko" and Stephen Biko's "I Write What I Like." Passion matters. Your voice matters. Don't let anyone tell you that you are taking it too far. Never keep your views to yourself to avoid annoying people. Never wonder whether you are being too political. Those concerns got us into this mess. If you have something to say, let the story of Steve Biko inspire you to get it out and to hold police accountable for their violent use of excessive force (yes, South Africa's "Blue Lives Matter" parallels are quite stark to realize what some people are willing to forgive today).

  Enjoy. Thanks in advance for your input.

No comments:

Post a Comment