Sunday, January 14, 2018

Some Thoughts About "Shithole Countries"

  ǀHawe ǁae-e ta ge mû so tama hâ. !Gâia gangans matisa du? 

  Editor's note: Below contains strong opinions of a political nature and will use language which some might find offensive.

  Sorry for the laziness. I know, I know, I keep saying I'll update this and I don't. Truth is, turning this into a "what is Jay doing now" blog just didn't seem worthwhile. That was never the point of this blog. This blog was about my experiences during and after my time in the Peace Corps. However, in the current political climate, there are many times when I feel that because of my experiences, there are things I "get" in a way many don't appreciate. One of these times was a few days ago, when I was reading the news, and came across the president's "shithole" comment. After days of struggling to find the right way to express my feelings, I leave you with the following. It's a bit long-winded, and maybe doesn't flow the best. I have tried to leave it in a way which best reflects my own processing of things.

  As disgusted as I've been by the shithole comment, there's something else about this discussion that disgusts me far more: people defending him by saying something along the lines of "if they weren't shitholes, why would they be leaving to come here?"

  I have spent a good portion (less than I'd like, though, I'll admit) of my adult life living outside the US. I grew up in Maryland, in the DC area, and haven't returned for more than a visit or a summer basically since shortly after turning 18. This is not because my country or my hometown are shitholes. It's because I, and millions of other Americans who choose to live abroad at some point in our lives, some permanently ever, recognize there are opportunities which can only be gained by leaving home.

  And, yes, in some cases, these opportunities stem from your home country being ravaged by war, by poverty, by disease, by a massive natural disaster you have neither the money nor the infrastructure to come back from, or the lasting legacy of abuse by colonialism. Other times, you recognize that in your field, the opportunities lie elsewhere. Or, you have family in other countries. Or need medical professionals who are in limited global supply (such as the case with several refugees blocked by the travel ban). There are millions of reasons why someone might want, or even need, to leave their home for a better opportunity. That doesn't make that country a shithole.

  And, I turn the question around, since we're apparently fine with accepting Norwegian immigrants. Does the fact that someone from Norway wants to move here make Norway a shithole? The president's wife is from what is now Slovenia. Does the fact that she felt compelled to move here make that country a shithole also? For anyone with white skin in this country, I can almost guarantee that at some point, your ancestors chose to leave somewhere in Europe to come here. After all, the modern America as we know it was founded by people who immigrated from Europe and their ancestors (built on the backs of many others and this is a bit of a simplification, I realize, but I'm trying to make a point here). Does the fact that they came here mean your ancestors came from shitholes? Of course not.

  And, we'd never suggest that the only reason people would choose to immigrate from a country is because that country is a shithole, unless that country is poor.

  In Namibia, many of my friends asked me to bring them to the US with me (and if they can ever make it, my door is always open). Namibia was no shit hole. It was a beautiful country which took me in with open arms. Same with Israel when I lived there.

  Along the same lines is the equally disgusting "get past the word, and let's talk about the point." The point IS the word. It is using language that reveals an incredibly dismissive view of countries, especially poorer ones. It shows an attitude towards the people immigrating which is, at best, incredibly disrespectful. And, no, it's not a case of "bad language, but still a valid point." The point itself only appears valid when you accept the premise which justifies the language. However, Africa is not a shithole. Haiti is not a shithole. Central America is not a shithole. And Europe is not a shithole.


  In spite of our conversations about these countries being backwards, undeveloped until the white man arrived, the reality is that many of these countries had incredibly complex societies before ever encountering Europeans. They may not resemble European styles, but that does not diminish their value. And, yet, it is this very lack of Europeanism which people use to justify it ("there was not written language, no calendar, multi-story buildings, or architecture like you see in Paris in sub-Saharan Africa before white people arrived" is something I actually saw on the news in a doctor's waiting room this morning; the parts which aren't nonsense Eurocentric standards are simply factually false).


  And, when people try and use descriptors of poverty, development level, etc., to show he's "right," I merely point to the fact that there are many parts of the US which are suffering from a failure to develop. In fact, we heard a lot about them a year ago. These were the so-called "forgotten people" of Trump country; the non-racist, non-bigoted supporters who were simply tired of their plight being ignored. They are largely white communities, which is why people don't bring them up as a counter-argument to Trump's description of African countries (opting instead for the Trumpist standards of "Chicago, Baltimore, New Orleans). I have traveled throughout cities and towns in the US which heavily resembled Khorixas, without the donkeys and goats wandering around (and a flipped racial demographic). I've been to cities in Africa which are on par with those in the US. And, no, I'm not simply referring to Cape Town (which is really a western city transplanted in southern Africa which racists use to "prove" that western=developed). Botswana has managed to make safe drinking water more available to its people than Michigan has. In fact, access to water in the US is a major problem which goes under the radar (because, you know, look who is suffering). If anyone wants sources on this, I have a few PDFs from classes I've taken I can send your way.


  At the end of the day, the only way the language is "beside the point" is if you choose to entirely miss the point.


  It's one thing to deny/refuse to believe he said it. It's something else to defend the statement.

  So, before you jump to defend the president with an argument that someone as lacking in brainpower as Tomi Lahren latched onto, actually put it in context. Which countries get that line of argument? What do they have in common? Then, maybe you'll understand why this entire attitude that such a statement can be defended is so offensive to anyone who cares about the world.

  On a lighter note, I leave you with a couple videos from Namibia. After all, sharing Namibian culture is part of Peace Corps' Third Goal, which was like the whole reason this blog exists (or, at least, that's what my country director chooses to believe).

  The first is Namibians cashing in on this nonsense statement.


  Just a reminder: when I lived in Namibia, someone tried to sell me a bag with Obama's face on it in my town, because it was crazy that I, an actual American, wouldn't have something Obama when all these other people did. Now, they are trolling us. We are actually being mocked by a country where I couldn't have enough American flags, maps, post cards, sunglasses, Nationals caps, etc. shipped over to keep up with the demand, because the people there actually, you know, liked America. A country that's such a shithole that I was able to hitchhike without feeling worried, and (except for one day during the World Cup when the US played Ghana and I was the most hated man in my town) being American was basically a luxury. Yeah, that's who's mocking us now.
  The real shitholes are the things he and his supporters spout their opinions out of.

  On the other hand, given the livestock roaming Khorixas, the shit part is literally true, I guess.
  However, if it was not made clear above, while I am more offended by the defense of the statement, don't forget that the "shithole" comment itself reflects a despicable view of the world, white washed, Eurocentric, the "white man's burden" (and shrugging off of said burden) in a modern form. However, at the end of the day, these countries are amazing places, with interesting cultures and wonderful people, and plenty of foods worthy of trying. Never let ignorance cut you off from amazing cultures. With that in mind, as angry as I am, I hope you enjoyed this opportunity to learn a bit about Namibia. It should be noted that this is not the first time they're poked fun at this president to advertise their tourism and culture.

  The second video is a bit old, but it's a song by one of my favorite Namibian musicians, which I think is timely at the moment, with the conversation we're having the US regarding sexual assault, sexual harassment, and gender based violence in general. I hope you enjoy it.





  So, with that, I leave you. I have classes starting soon, after a long Winter Break. However, if I have time, maybe I'll do a short "what is Jay up to?" post. After all, we're closing in on Mardi Gras (for the few readers around since the "Abita to Africa" days), and because it was my experience in the Peace Corps which put me on my current path.

  Happy New Year. !gai !gaxa tsi /khaehesa /asa kurib. Take care. !Gaise ha re.

No comments:

Post a Comment