Friday, August 2, 2013

Not Everything Ends In Success

  So, not every project is going to end in success.  That's something I've come to learn here.

  I'm reaching the end of my computer class.  My learners are taking their final exam as I am typing this.  Of the 18 learners who started the class, only 7 remain.  Some had to pull out because of work concerns.  Some were kicked out because they missed too many sessions and had fallen too far behind.  This was surprising, given how much they had to pay to take these courses, but my co-workers and I felt it was unfair to the rest of the class to keep waiting on these people who weren't showing up.  Some chose to drop out because they were having trouble understanding the concepts.

  Language has been one issue.  For learners who have never used computers and don't speak English too well, teaching them how to use this software was difficult.  Even when I enlisted help of Damara-Speaking co-workers, some concepts just didn't translate well.  The unwillingness to ask questions has been another.  Every time I asked them if they understood what I had taught, the answer was "yes."  Unfortunately, by the next day, I would realize the answer was "no."  I can only answer the questions that were asked, but it seems Namibians grow up not being taught "there are no stupid questions."  Even when they felt I was moving too fast, instead of asking m to slow down, they just kept silent.  This is something I'm going to have to learn from for future classes, I guess.

  Glancing over the shoulders of some of my learners, I have a feeling some will not pass the final exam.  The exams covers Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and they need a cumulative 60% on all 3 exams (this and the 2 previous ones they've taken) to pass the course.  Unfortunately, they seem to be making the exam same mistakes they've continually made on past exams, ignoring formatting requirements or not auto-sizing cells in Excel.  These are all things I've covered multiple times, which I find a bit frustrating, but there's only so much help I can provide, since the point of the class is that they learn to do these things on their own.

  And don't even get me started on the disaster that was trying to help Blind Mike get his environmental club started.



I'll give him credit; he had(has) some very good ideas and does seem to finally be making process, but his laziness made his time frames impossible, and I could only do so much of the work for him.

  One project I am trying to start is a health club for out of school youths.  So far, I've scheduled about 5 meetings with them, but only once has anyone shown up.  Part of success is showing up, and unless my class starts doing that, this won't be a success.  I'm working with some co-workers on drafting an announcement for a local radio station, in the hope that it will help get people to come, but so far this project has been of no success.  The most frustrating part is that they came to me asking me to do this, and I would like to make this happen, as much for them as it is for me.  Maybe this next week will rejuvenate me enough to produce some knew ideas on how to make this work.

  There's a reason I say "this next week."  It's not some misguided, naive optimism.  I've been at site for nearly 3 months now.  1/8-ish done with my actual service.  So, Peace Corps wants me to celebrate with Re-Connect, two one-week training sessions on project design, management, and reporting and an opportunity to get together with my training group to talk about what we've covered so far at site, share our experiences, and re-connect with each other (what a clever name, right?).  Because, obviously, all of us have been good volunteers and have never left site during these first three months other than for short trips to our shopping towns or things related to work.  The truth is, I am looking forward to seeing the people I was sick of by the last time I saw them (love y'all).

  Of course, that's not to say everything has been a failure.  Several of the learners from my computer class made massive improvements and I can't wait until I get to give them their certificates (Namibians LOVE certificates).  The program at the conservancy was a success.  If my group ever shows up, this health club can be great, because the people who approached me initially had(have?) some awesome ideas, so we just gotta get this thing going.  And the failures I've had have taught me a lot.  I know nobody likes to hear it, but lowering expectations is going to be a key to success here.  That's not to say calling a failure a success makes it so.  However, while over half of my original learners will not be receiving certificates, those that will now have a great skill to help them get jobs.  My failure with (and eventual blow up at) Mike seems to have had the impact of him taking a more realistic approach to what he's trying to do.  It may have taken almost 3 months, but several of my co-workers seem to have figured out the scanner (which is like 3 years less time than it took my mom?).  Too many people join organizations like Peace Corps because they want to save the world, or at least a country, or at least a village/town/city.  I'm now realizing that though I denied it in my head, I was one of them.  The truth is a lot more significant.  I am one person.  I may be very smart, well trained, skilled, creative, etc., but I'm still only one person.  I can't fix the world.  I can't fix Namibia.  I can't even fix Khorixas.  But I can help a few learners per class.  I can help the handful of co-workers at my Youth Center who I interact with on a daily basis.  When my health club shows up, I can provide them tools for living a healthier life.  If I teach a class on proper condom use, I may only reach a few people.  But maybe they will teach someone else.  Redefining the goal from the impossible to the doable is key to being productive and successful here, and it took some early failures (and I'm sure there will be more along the way) to teach me this lesson.

  On a side note, many people might be wondering where I've been living. Well, my house isn't ready, so I'd been living in my homestay until this past Wednesday.  See, my boss ordered my furniture before the house was ready, expecting it to get caught up in Ministry bureaucratic nonsense.  Given the experience with my familiarization trip application (signed by all but one guy, who needed to be the second-to-last guy to sign it, not the last, and said the form was too marked up by the time he got it, and left on piles all over the place, etc.), this was not an unreasonable expectation.  However, the furniture actually arrived within a few weeks, and I needed to put it.  So, I will soon be moving into one of 2 newly renovated guest rooms at my center (WIN!!!! ROLL OUT OF BED AND BE AT WORK!!!!  GYM DOWNSTAIRS!!!! CAN THIS GET BETTER?!!!), once they install the electricity and get me a stove.  So, in the short term, I'm crashing with a friend at the hospital.  A bit of a hike from work (it takes about 10-15 minutes longer to walk), but a nice place (HOT SHOWERS ARE THE GREATEST THING IN THE WORLD!!!!).  Why did I move out from my homestay into a temp housing when my long-term temp housing wasn't ready?  Part of it was what my friend calls "Nam Logic."  The bigger thing was it was time to move on from my homestay.  The family really needed the bedroom back and I needed the freedom to be a bit more of an adult.  There was also my host mom's Damara proverb that "kids kill a man" (meaning she was afraid her little ones were eventually going to tire me out and wear me out because there's no way I can have their level of energy).  However, she was very clear as I was leaving: "This is a separation, not a divorce."  I still see her family around town, will hopefully be taking a trip to the farm with them, plan on having them over for jambalaya some time as a "thank you" for hosting me, and visiting the children from time-to-time.  So, that's what's been going on with that.

Side note: my cook book is really coming along.  Anyone who wants to contribute, I am breaking it down as entrees, salads, sandwiches, soups, desserts, sauces, and porridge/rice pots.  I will only include recipes I think can be done in Namibia.  Please let me know what you would like me to call it and if you would like to be credited (your name in the item's name).  Those who contribute will be rewarded with a free copy, so also include your e-mail.  I expect to have about 75-100 recipes when I'm done and hope to have it done this month or early next month.  I am thinking of selling copies as a fundraiser for my health club if that ever gets started, at which point I will give pricing and ordering info.

No comments:

Post a Comment